Monday, January 11, 2021 | Virtual Event
The Maryland Nonprofits Legislative Preview is your opportunity to learn what other nonprofits will be working on, how the legislature will function, and how you can be an effective advocate in the coming year – plus, you’ll have a chance to connect with advocates with similar priorities to yours. The 2021 legislative session in Maryland will address major issues affecting nonprofits and the people and communities we serve, including efforts to correct social inequities and systemic racism, funding of education, the impact of COVID-19 and the recession on Maryland’s economy and government services, federal relief, protection of health and the environment, and more.
During this virtual convening, you will hear from public officials and leading nonprofits advocates and be able to join breakout room discussions on a range of issues. Two optional afternoon sessions will provide you with detailed advice on organizing, planning, and implementing strategies to bring about change in policies and programs.
9:00 AM – 9:30 AM: Introduction and Opening Remarks from Heather Iliff, President and CEO of Maryland Nonprofits
9:30 AM – 10:00 AM: A Conversation with Maryland State Senator Melanie Griffith
10:00 AM – 10:30 AM: A Conversation with United States Senator Chris Van Hollen
10:30 AM – 11: 30 AM: Breakout sessions
11:30 AM – 12:00 PM: A Conversation with Maryland State Delegate Vanessa Atterbeary
12:00 PM – 12:30 PM: A Conversation with Ben Orr, President and CEO of the Maryland Center on Economic Policy
12:30 PM – 1:00 PM: Break
1:00 PM – 2:00 PM: Session I
2:00 PM – 3:00 PM: Session II
3:00 PM – 3:30 PM: Closing Remarks
Breakout Room Topics
- Recommendations from the Task Force on Reconciliation and Equity
- Digital Equity and Inclusion
- Shelter and Housing
- Environmental Priorities
- Education and Children’s Services
- Arts and Culture
- Enhancing Quality of Life
- Providing Fiscal Resources to Protect Essential Services
- Policy Priorities to Protect Public Health
- Expanding the Earned Income Tax Credit and Removing Obstacles to Work
- Challenges to the Behavioral Health System and Providers
- Access to Health Care and Prescription Medications, Health Equity Resource Communities
- Transit Policy Challenges to Get Maryland Moving
- Criminal Justice Reforms/ Decriminalizing Poverty
- Protecting the Right to Vote
2021 will be an important year, and Maryland Nonprofits wants as many people as possible to attend this Legislative Preview. That’s why Maryland Nonprofits is offering a special group registration option this year. For the price of $29, you can register 1 attendee. For $58, you can register everyone in your organization. To clarify, the maximum your organization could have to pay to register everyone you’d like to bring is $58. If you have not yet finalized your attendee list, you will be able to make a Regfox account and log in to add additional attendees to an existing registration at a later date.
- Nonprofit Development Center participants attend for free. Learn if you qualify for the Nonprofit Development Center, a free program for new and small nonprofits.
If you have a disability and require accommodation in order to fully participate in this event, please contact Rachel Mygatt at (443) 438-2343 or email@example.com. Please make requests before December 31st, 2020.